Friday, February 5, 2010

The Spaulding Collection, MFA

One of the most fun parts about my membership at the MFA is that I have discovered so many new parts of the museum from just wandering around that were previously unknown to me.  Yesterday, after seeing the wonderful Melendez show, I poked around in the Asian wing.  Tucked away in a small corner I found a sampling of Japanese prints from the Spaulding Collection.  This huge collection of original Japanese block prints was donated to the MFA by the brothers Spaulding with a unique stipulation.  Due to the fact that these prints tend to fade quickly in sunlight, the brothers asked that the collection not be shown to the public.  With the invention of UV protecting glass, however, the museum is now able to show some of these stunning graphic works which are now on display.

Here a couple of my favorites that I'd like to share with you.  There are quite a few more to see. You can view low-res scans of these prints online at the MFA's website by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment