Saturday, February 6, 2010

Fabulously Fierce Friends, Dot

Like many retired folks, I found myself with lots of free unplanned time in the fall of 2005. Since that time I have declared a love of travel, cooking and reading. I even learned to knit to pass the time. Also, I found a world of volunteerism out there. I spend a few hours a week volunteering at a local hospital. I also love to play duplicate bridge (a passion) and have joined a book club of like-minded women. I hope to share travel, books and cooking ideas on my blog. Hope you will enjoy my ramblings.



CQ: 1. Who are your role models - food related or otherwise?

Dot: Mildred Caldwell. She is about 10 years older than me and still leads a rich life. She has raised a family and battled cancer and is still going and enjoying reading, bridge, travel, volunteers at the hospital, etc. In addition, she is a terrific cook and wonderful hostess. People like to be around Mildred. Her outlook is sunny!

CQ: 2. What is your drink of choice?

Dot: Something white and dry

CQ: 3. What is your favorite cookbook or other food related book?

Dot: Love Holly Clegg's Trim and Terrific (original edition) I know her(taught her 3 children) and these recipes can be made most times with what you have in the pantry. She is a native of Baton Rouge and that makes her books even more special to me. I reach for this book more than any other in my collection.

CQ: 4. What was your most memorable meal and why?

Dot: Christmas eve at L'espalier a few years back. We had the tasting journey. Superb food and service.

CQ: 5. What is your favorite kitchen gadget or tool?

Dot: My small wire whisk. Just the right size for mixing amounts when cooking for two. I also love my lemon squeezer that I have owned for 40 years. I got it by sending in coupons to the Sunkist folks. It came with a zester as well.

CQ: 6. If you had to make dinner with ingredients at your home right now, what would you make?

Dot: Pesto Pasta, Salad with olive oil dressing, cornbread.

CQ: 7. What kind of music do you like to listen to while you cook?

Dot: Standards. Love that Tony Bennett sound. (Michael Buble will do as well)

CQ: 8. What is your philosophy on cooking and eating?

Dot: Use the finest ingredients. Seek unique taste. Enjoy at least one meal each day with the person you love.

CQ: 9. Are there any foods you can not stand to eat?

Dot: not fond of caviar. not fond of organ meats...liver, tongue, etc.

CQ: 10. If you could use any super power in the kitchen, what would it be and why?

Dot: Eliminate the time element when I am tired and hungry. would like immediate food with the taste of slow cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment