Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Mushroom Flatbreads with Prosciutto

I was in the mood for pizza last night, but I didn't want the usual take out that always leave me with heartburn.  I think the acid in all of that tomato sauce plus the cheese they use does a double whammy on my tummy.  Though delicious, my resolve to avoid fast food steered me away from the commercial route.  My work week is also gearing up today, so I wanted to have some things in the fridge that I could go to during when I get home to warm up.  As usual I ventured up a few blocks to my local market and picked up some things to cook.

I was inspired by some nice looking Portabella mushrooms and prosciutto, so I picked up some frozen pizza dough and decided to have a go at it.  The results were pretty tasty.  I put a lot of love into the mushrooms and used Gruyere cheese instead of the usual Italian mix.  There was no sauce per se, but I rubbed the dough with olive oil for flavor and so it would crisp up nicely in the oven.  I put the prosciutto on last because I don't really like the way it tastes when it's cooked and it sorts of melts over the hot flatbread anyway.  You could also easily make this vegetarian by omitting the prosciutto altogether and it would be delicious.  Portabellas have such a rich flavor that they are quite satisfying on their own even for a meat eater.  Here's the recipe:



Mushroom Flatbreads with Prosciutto

1 bag of frozen pizza dough
1 pound Portabella mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup grated Gruyere
1/3 cup chopped yellow onion
1/4 cup white vermouth
1 tablespoon picked fresh thyme
1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
Olive oil
  1. Preheat oven to 450˚.
  2. Grease a sheet pan with olive oil and work the pizza dough into two balls and roll them out flat on the sheet pan.  Flour your hands before so the dough doesn't stick to you or the sheet pan.  Toss a little salt on them for good measure.
  3. Sauté mushrooms over medium high heat with olive oil in a large heavy skillet.  Work in small batches so as not to crowd the pan so the mushrooms will brown instead of steam.  Salt as you go to help eliminate water.
  4. Add the onion toward the end and toss until translucent.
  5. Add the herbs and vermouth and cook until the wine is completely absorbed by the mushrooms.
  6. Spread a layer of Gruyere on each flatbread.
  7. Spoon the mushroom sauté out evenly onto the flatbread and top with another layer of Gruyere.
  8. Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes depending on how well you like your crust done.
  9. Garnish with ribbons of Prosciutto and a little more chopped parsley and black pepper.
With Wine: I drank Arona Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand.  It's grassy citrus notes complimented the rich earthy flavors of the mushrooms well, and the saltiness of the prosciutto brought out the lovely tropical fruit and grapefruit flavors of the wine.  It should retail for around $10 at your local shop.  If you're in the mood for a red, try a Chianti Colli Senesi or a young Rioja.  Either would be delicious.

Bon appétit!

3 comments: