Monday, January 18, 2010

Kristen Stoner's "Images" for Solo Flute

"Images" is a fabulous new album featuring works for solo flute performed by Kristen Stoner, professor of flute at University of Florida.  It features works mostly by living American women composers like Libby Larsen, Katherine Hoover, Victoria Bond, and by the performer herself!  There is a nod to some standards in the flute repertoire also such as Debussy's Syrinx, Honneger's Danse de la Chevre, and Bozza's Image.


The playing sounds effortless and is sensitive.  It is also evident that there has been some very careful attention to intonation, clarity of tone, and clean technique.  The many new works on the album will be a welcome addition to the repertoire for many an aspiring and professional flutist.  The inclusion of pieces like Hoover's Kokopeli and her own piece, Naribue, makes reference to Kristen's interest in ethno-musicology.  I also especially enjoyed Shafer Mahoney's Six Miniatures, each one a little gem.  I'm thinking they might work nicely on the oboe as well...

I must confess having known Kristen from my Cincinnati Conservatory days.  I am inspired and proud of her output as a performer, teacher, and now recording artist.  I'm looking forward to more from her and excited to see that she continues to excel at what she puts her mind to.  I hope you will derive as much enjoyment from this recording as I have already.

You can download directly from Amazon by following the link above or it is also available on iTunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment