Friday, June 18, 2010

Fabulously Fierce Friends, Meaghan

Meaghan Heinrich: Orchestra Education Manager by day. Weekend Warrior Oboist. Lover of music, art, books, film, food, drink, and all things that make life truly fabulous.

1. Who are your role models - food related or otherwise?

Michael Pollan (author of The Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food) and Mollie Katzen (Moosewood diva--who happens to also be an oboist!)

2. What is your drink of choice?

Red wine, craft-brewed beer, or single malt scotch. My favorite cocktail is the Sazerac, a New Orleans favorite: rye whiskey, Peychaud's bitters, sugar and a little lemon in an absinthe-coated glass. Heaven. Oh, and I can't resist a good mojito in the summertime.

3. What is your favorite cookbook or other food related book?

The Original Moosewood Cookbook. I just keep coming back to it.

4. What was your most memorable meal and why?

After I ran my first marathon in Cincinnati, I went to my favorite resaturant, Myra's Dionysus, and ordered hummus, homemade soup, and gado gado. It was the best that food has ever tasted in my life.

5. What is your favorite kitchen gadget or tool?

My German spatzle-maker. You press dough through it to make homemade boiled noodles, kind of like dumplings. It's the traditional Heinrich Family wedding gift!

6. If you had to make dinner with ingredients at your home right now, what would you make?

Probably a frittata. I'm nearing the end of my grocery week, and as long as I have eggs, I can always turn out a creative and tasty frittata.

7. What kind of music do you like to listen to while you cook?

Jazz for dinner, classical for brunch.

8. What is your philosophy on cooking and eating?

My mom always said "If you can read, you can cook." I believe that cooking simple meals and eating well is much easier than most people think, and that if they would just give it a try, they'd be healthier and enjoy life more. Convenience food is the devil.

9. Are there any foods you can not stand to eat?

Despite being a vegetarian and choosing not to eat meat, I don't think there's any food I truly don't like. I won't touch fast food, but that's more related to question #8.

10. If you could use any super power in the kitchen, what would it be and why?

The ability to chop an onion without getting the smell on my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment