Friday, April 9, 2010

Fabulously Fierce Friends, Matthew



I am a 32 year old Louisiana native living in Oakland after 10 years in the Bay Area. I have a cat named Minou, bake a King Cake from scratch annually, and am an avid yogi.

1. Who are your role models - food related or otherwise?

Foodwise I have always enjoyed Julia Child and Jacques Pepin. Tim Gunn is also a role model for me. He is a sage with sass.

2. What is your drink of choice?

Lately I have enjoyed a cocktail called The Picard. It is Hendrick's Gin, Prosecco and Elderflower liqueur. It tastes like grapefruit juice and I love it.


3. What is your favorite cookbook or other food related book?

I have enjoyed The Bread Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum so much that I have written all over the recipes and sat there in my spare time reading its contents like a book and I also love Southern Living for its recipes.

4. What was your most memorable meal and why?

My brother used to work at Gary Danko and we went there one evening and proceeded to have the most masterful pairing of wine and food that I had ever experienced. It made me really appreciate the sommelier.

5. What is your favorite kitchen gadget or tool?

It is a tie between a food processor and a Kitchen Aid mixer. How did people live without these?

6. If you had to make dinner with ingredients at your home right now, what would you make?

I just did this and I made a Lemon Rosemary roasted chicken, mashed potatoes and green beans with pecans.

7. What kind of music do you like to listen to while you cook?

Something upbeat. Tonight it was Beyonce and Queen.

8. What is your philosophy on cooking and eating?

Measure everything and take your time.

9. Are there any foods you can not stand to eat?

I'm not into things like organs and offal meats. I don't understand why my neighborhood taqueria offers Lengua.

10. If you could use any super power in the kitchen, what would it be and why?

I would utilize the Mary Poppins ability to wiggle your nose and have the kitchen instantly tidy itself with a sweeping orchestral score because I am terrible at kitchen maintenance.

No comments:

Post a Comment