Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Joshua Bell and The Boston Symphony Orchestra

The evening began when i noticed on Facebook that "rush" tickets were available for this evenings BSO performance. It just so happened that I had the evening off from work, and what could be better than hearing Joshua Bell play the Brahms Violin Concerto, so I arrived at Symphony Hall and waited in line for the special discounted tickets. For only $9 i heard a wonderful concert of Stravinsky's Firebird, Debussy's Afternoon of a Faun, and Brahms.


With some time to kill at 5:30 after I bought my discounted ticket, I headed over to Legal Sea Foods to see my friend Teri. We talked about our upcoming performance of Bach's "Wedding Cantata" in December. I ate a delicious Cioppino full of mussels, clams, lobster, and calamari washed down with a nice Oregon Pinot Noir. My hearty meal really chased away the chill of the night. I left feeling happy at having seen a good friend and full and satisfied having enjoyed a fantastic meal.

I had the good fortune during dinner to receive a text message from Rose that she was also going to attend the concert, and even more, she had an extra ticket and would I join her?! So, after dinner, Rose and I met and drank some bubbles at Symphony Hall and went to our seats in row T on the orchestra level. We had a tremendous view of the stage and the seats were much better than what i would have had from the "rush" ticket. It was nice to feel like we were in the action. Joshua Bell gave a sensitive performance of the Brahms Violin Concerto and John Ferillo delivered a beautiful oboe solo at the beginning of the second movement. Rose and I both really enjoyed Maestro Tortelier's energetic gyrations and emphatic leaps on the podium.

The evening was capped off by a quick trip to Petit Robert Bistro in Kenmore Square, one of our favorite haunts. Dan, who sadly was stuck teaching all day, had some dinner while Rose and I ate some fabulous desserts and sipped sidecars. Dan can never pass on PRB's signature roasted chicken, and Rose and I dined on Tarte Tatin and Baba au Rhum. What a life!

I will definitely be taking advantage of the $9 tickets in the near future. I can't wait to see more of the BSO. I feel like the season always slips by without getting much of a chance to see them perform, so knowing about a cheap option is really exciting and incentive to go often!

No comments:

Post a Comment